Vietnamese Pancake (Banh Xeo)Karen Chan
Serves: 6 pancakes
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 125g rice flour
- 750ml water
- 200ml TCC Premium Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 spring onions (green part only, sliced)
- 1/2 cup split mung beans, soaked for at least 2 hrs
- 200g pork belly strip (thinly sliced)
- 18 pcs prawns (shell and entrails removed)
- 1/2 brown onion (thinly sliced) 1 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 500g bean sprouts
- 1/2 brown onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cucumber strips
- 1 bunch Mint for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
Nuoc cham sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 red chilies (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- Add the rice flour, coconut milk, salt and water into a large mixing bowl. Whisk gently to combine. Add turmeric and spring onions. Allow to sit for 30-60 mins.
- Combine nuoc cham sauce ingredients in a bowl. Stir through and set aside.
- Heat a 28cm non-stick pan over high heat. Add 3-4 pork belly strips, and few slices of onions. Then scatter 1 tbs mung beans across the pan.
- After a minute, turn the pork belly over, place 3 prawns in the pan
- Measure out half cup of batter and gently pour into the hot pan, while tilting the pan to swirl the batter to spread thinly. You should see bubbles forming on the surface.
- After 2 minutes, heat still on high, trickle 1 tbs oil from around the side of the pan for the oil to flow onto the pancake sides and start to sizzle and crisp. Let it fry for 2-3 minutes. As you check under the pancake, it should be a deep golden brown, light and crispy. If it isn’t yet, leave it for another
- Scatter a small handful of bean sprouts onto the pancake, and after a few seconds, gently fold the pancake over in half and slide onto a serving plate.
- To serve, cut a small piece of the pancake with the fillings and place onto a lettuce leaf. Add mint and coriander, and roll it in half. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...