Vietnamese Pancake (Banh Xeo)Karen Chan
Serves: 6 pancakes
Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Asian Inspirations
- 125g rice flour
- 750ml water
- 200ml TCC Premium Coconut Milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 spring onions (green part only, sliced)
- 1/2 cup split mung beans, soaked for at least 2 hrs
- 200g pork belly strip (thinly sliced)
- 18 pcs prawns (shell and entrails removed)
- 1/2 brown onion (thinly sliced) 1 tbsp Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 500g bean sprouts
- 1/2 brown onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cucumber strips
- 1 bunch Mint for garnish
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
Nuoc cham sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Squid Brand Fish Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 red chilies (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- Add the rice flour, coconut milk, salt and water into a large mixing bowl. Whisk gently to combine. Add turmeric and spring onions. Allow to sit for 30-60 mins.
- Combine nuoc cham sauce ingredients in a bowl. Stir through and set aside.
- Heat a 28cm non-stick pan over high heat. Add 3-4 pork belly strips, and few slices of onions. Then scatter 1 tbs mung beans across the pan.
- After a minute, turn the pork belly over, place 3 prawns in the pan
- Measure out half cup of batter and gently pour into the hot pan, while tilting the pan to swirl the batter to spread thinly. You should see bubbles forming on the surface.
- After 2 minutes, heat still on high, trickle 1 tbs oil from around the side of the pan for the oil to flow onto the pancake sides and start to sizzle and crisp. Let it fry for 2-3 minutes. As you check under the pancake, it should be a deep golden brown, light and crispy. If it isn’t yet, leave it for another
- Scatter a small handful of bean sprouts onto the pancake, and after a few seconds, gently fold the pancake over in half and slide onto a serving plate.
- To serve, cut a small piece of the pancake with the fillings and place onto a lettuce leaf. Add mint and coriander, and roll it in half. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Our friends at Wine Selectors suggest pairing this dish with a Riesling.
Ingredients: 250g fresh pasta 3 large free range eggs 40g parmigiano cheese 150g smoked pancetta / guanciale Sea salt flakes Black pepper Method: In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, parmigiano cheese, salt and pepper. In the meantime, place the diced pancetta into a fry...
Ingredients: Makes 12-24 Leftover Lasagne ¼ cup plain flour 2 eggs 1-2 cups Panko crumbs Anchovy Mayonnaise 1 large egg yolk 1 tsp Dijon mustard ½ tsp lemon zest 2 Tbsp lemon juice 1 cup light extra virgin olive oil 6-7 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped...
Ingredients: This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Asian Inspirations Serves 2 240g cabbage (finely chopped) 80g spring onion (finely chopped) 160g squid tube (finely chopped) 3 tbsp vegetable oil Batter: 120g plain flour 1 tsp baking powder 4 eggs 2 tsp...
Ingredients: 2 brown onion, finely diced 2 garlic cloves, chopped 2 carrots, finely diced 2 celery sticks, finely diced 100g pancetta, finely diced 4 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes 4 fresh bay leaves 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped 1/4 bunch sage, finely chopped 150g...
Ingredients: 110g Safcol Sardines in Springwater, drained 2 tbsp oil 1 clove garlic, sliced 2 slices ginger, julienned 2 spring onions, cut to 2cm lengths 1 tbsp brandy (you may substitute this with Chinese cooking wine) 2 tsp black bean sauce (available in the Asian...
Ingredients: Makes 500ml 500g Red chilli 125g Red onion 25g garlic cloves 250ml lime juice 125ml fish sauce 125g sugar caster 50ml soy sauce 50ml rice vinegar Method: Blitz red chilli, onion and garlic in the robo-coup on pulse setting, it should still be quite coarse...