Individual Sticky Date Puddings with Coconut Caramel SauceBen O'Donoghue
- 200g fresh or dried pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 300ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 150g (2/3 cup) sugar50g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 170g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) pouring (whipping) cream
- 150g (3/4 cup) soft brown sugar
- 50g butter
- Preheat the oven 180ºC
- Put the dates, bicarbonate of soda and boiling water into a bowl and set aside. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat together for 2 minutes, or until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix to combine, then add the flour, baking powder and date mixture
- Spoon the mixture into flexible silicon muffin trays and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through — when a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean, the puddings are done
- Meanwhile, make the butterscotch sauce. Put all of the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until the butter has melted and the sugar is dissolved. Continue to simmer for a further 2–3 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Any leftover butterscotch sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week
This timeless recipe makes great individual little puddings that can be served as a dessert or can be frozen for lunch boxes at work or school. You can substitute dried figs instead of the dates if you like. Butterscotch sauce is the traditional accompaniment, but if you want a healthier alternative they taste just as nice with a dollop of plain yoghurt and fresh passionfruit.
Banana Breakfast Bar
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 1 ½ cups raw cashews 1 ½ desiccated coconut 3 medium ripe bananas, peeled and chopped 10 fresh dates, pitted 2 tsp vanilla extract ⅓ cup raw cacao powder ½ tsp bicarbonate of...
Ingredients: 500g unsalted room temp butter + extra for greasing 250g self-raising flour + extra for dusting 250g golden caster sugar 5 large free-range eggs 100ml milk ½ tsp vanilla extract ½ tp baking powder 250g quality dark chocolate (70%) 100g icing sugar 300g...
Raspberry Grappa Jam Drops
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at JC’s Quality Foods Ingredients: 2 cups (300g) Buckwheat flour 1 ½ cups almond meal 1 tsp ground cinnamon ½ tsp sea salt flakes ¾ cup maple syrup ½ cup vegetable oil ⅓ cup raspberry jam Method: Preheat the...
Deep Fried Apple Pie
Ingredients: Oil, for frying For the Pastry: 250g plain white flour 90g cornflour 70g caster sugar 3g sea salt 70g cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 10ml cider vinegar 120g water For the Filling: 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled, cored & roughly chopped 65g...
Crème Brûlèe Donuts
Ingredients:Makes 12 donuts Oil, for frying For the Dough: 1 cup lukewarm milk 1 tbsp dried yeast 1/3 cup caster sugar 3 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla paste 4 tbsp soft butter 4 1/4 cups plain flour For the Custard: 1/2 cup sugar 3 tbsp cornflour 2 cups milk 4 yolks 2 tsps...
Banana Crepes with Banana Caramel
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 200g plain flour 100 caster sugar 200ml milk, full fat 1 whole egg 1 egg yolk 50g butter Icing sugar, for dusting For Bananas: 75g caster sugar 30g butter, salted Banana...