Leah's Swedish MeatballsElena Duggan
- 50g Butter
- 1 large onion, peeled, grated
- 100g milk
- 5-6 slices of non seeded bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1xm pieces (GF if needed)
- 3 eggs
- 500g pork mince
- 750g beef mince
- 10g salt
- 1tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1tsp cardamom, ground
- 2tsp black pepper, finely ground
- 100g butter
- 100g flour / 75g buckwheat flour
- 1L Massel Beef stock
- 150g sour cream, optional
- Salt, to taste
- 150g cranberry jelly (or Lingonberry, red currant, raspberry jelly)
- Mashed potato
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Stir in the grated onion and cook until translucent and softened, 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the pieces of bread in a large bowl and mix with the milk. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes for the bread to absorb all of the milk. Once the bread has soaked up the milk put the bread in a food processor and pulse until it has been completely broken up. Return the pulverized milk soaked bread to the bowl.
- Stir the cooled onions into the milk bread mixture. Add the eggs, ground pork and beef, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. Use your hands to mix everything together until well combined.
- Use your hands to form the 2-3cm meatballs and place them on a plate or sheet pan. This recipe should make between 40 and 50 meatballs.
- Heat butter in a large pan on medium heat. When the butter is melted and foamy, start adding some meatballs to the pan. Cook in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan, slowly brown the meatballs on all sides. Turn gently so meatballs do not break apart.
- Once the meatballs have browned on all sides, remove them from the pan and set aside. You do not need to cook the meatballs all the way through at this point; you only need to brown them. You’ll finish cooking the meatballs in the sauce later.
- Once you have removed the meatballs from the pan, keep the remaining butter in the pan. You’ll use this butter to make the sauce.
- If the butter in the pan has become burnt through the browning of the meatballs, remove and discard it, and add butter to the pan.
- To make the sauce, first make the roux. Heat the butter in the pan on medium heat. Slowly whisk in the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Continue to stir, allowing the flour mixture to cook, several minutes, until the roux is caramel in colour.
- When the roux has cooked to a lovely shade of light brown, slowly add the stock to the roux, stirring as you add the stock. The stock will sputter at first and the roux may seize up, but keep adding the stock slowly and keep stirring. Eventually the sauce will loosen and become silky.
- Return the meatballs to the pan with the sauce and lower the heat to low. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. You may need to work in batches.
- Transfer the meatballs to a serving dish. Stir in the sour cream. Serve with jelly and mash on the side.
- Gluten free
- Grain free (optional, choose appropriate bread)
- Dairy free (optional, utilise EVOO instead of butter, Nut milk instead of dairy milk)
- Low fructose / No added sugar
Picnic Cheese Board
Ingredients: Hard Cheese Soft Cheese Blue Cheese 1 baguette A bunch of Green Grapes Honeycomb Salami (sliced) Smoked Salmon Dip Artisan Crackers Beetroot dip Poppy Seed Skordalia Dip Dukkah Stuffed Bell Peppers Marinated Olives (pitted) Method: There are no rules or...
Roasted Brussel Sprout Salad
Ingredients: 700g sprouts (500g trimmed whole, 200g thinly sliced) 3 garlic cloves, crushed 100g kale, thinly shredded 1 red onion, thinly sliced 150ml olive oil 3 lemons, juiced 2 anchovies in oil, chopped 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard 80g hazelnuts, toasted and...
Salt & Pepper Squid Cones
Ingredients: 1 tbsp sea salt flakes 1 tbsp cracked black pepper 8 cleaned squid tubes, thinly sliced Vegetable oil, for deep-frying 1 cup self-raising flour ½ cup mayonnaise Lemon wedges, to serve Method: Place the salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix to combine....
Zucchini Flower & Ricotta Tart
Serves 4 Ingredients: 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed and halved 500g fresh ricotta 8 slices prosciutto 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Sea salt and cracked black pepper 6 zucchini flowers, halved and stamens removed, or 1 zucchini,...
Orecchiette with Broccolini
This recipe is brought to you with the help of our friends at Perfection Fresh Ingredients: 500g orecchiette pasta Table salt for pasta water 2 heads broccolini, cut into small pieces, use stalk as well 4 birds eye chilli, sliced finely 5 cloves garlic, chopped 4...
Okonomiyaki (Japanese Pancake)
Ingredients: ½ of a Wombok Cabbage (Shredded ) 3 Carrots (2 grated & 1 julienned) Daikon (julienned) - optional 3 eggs 1 cup of Corn Flour Spring Onions (Chopped) Mint Black & White Sesame Seeds Caster Sugar White Vinegar Kewpie Hoisin Chilli - optional Fried...