Leah's Swedish MeatballsElena Duggan
- 50g Butter
- 1 large onion, peeled, grated
- 100g milk
- 5-6 slices of non seeded bread, crusts removed, bread cut into 1xm pieces (GF if needed)
- 3 eggs
- 500g pork mince
- 750g beef mince
- 10g salt
- 1tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1tsp cardamom, ground
- 2tsp black pepper, finely ground
- 100g butter
- 100g flour / 75g buckwheat flour
- 1L Massel Beef stock
- 150g sour cream, optional
- Salt, to taste
- 150g cranberry jelly (or Lingonberry, red currant, raspberry jelly)
- Mashed potato
- Melt the butter in a pan on medium-high heat. Stir in the grated onion and cook until translucent and softened, 3-4 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the pieces of bread in a large bowl and mix with the milk. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes for the bread to absorb all of the milk. Once the bread has soaked up the milk put the bread in a food processor and pulse until it has been completely broken up. Return the pulverized milk soaked bread to the bowl.
- Stir the cooled onions into the milk bread mixture. Add the eggs, ground pork and beef, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom. Use your hands to mix everything together until well combined.
- Use your hands to form the 2-3cm meatballs and place them on a plate or sheet pan. This recipe should make between 40 and 50 meatballs.
- Heat butter in a large pan on medium heat. When the butter is melted and foamy, start adding some meatballs to the pan. Cook in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan, slowly brown the meatballs on all sides. Turn gently so meatballs do not break apart.
- Once the meatballs have browned on all sides, remove them from the pan and set aside. You do not need to cook the meatballs all the way through at this point; you only need to brown them. You’ll finish cooking the meatballs in the sauce later.
- Once you have removed the meatballs from the pan, keep the remaining butter in the pan. You’ll use this butter to make the sauce.
- If the butter in the pan has become burnt through the browning of the meatballs, remove and discard it, and add butter to the pan.
- To make the sauce, first make the roux. Heat the butter in the pan on medium heat. Slowly whisk in the flour. Stir until smooth.
- Continue to stir, allowing the flour mixture to cook, several minutes, until the roux is caramel in colour.
- When the roux has cooked to a lovely shade of light brown, slowly add the stock to the roux, stirring as you add the stock. The stock will sputter at first and the roux may seize up, but keep adding the stock slowly and keep stirring. Eventually the sauce will loosen and become silky.
- Return the meatballs to the pan with the sauce and lower the heat to low. Cover the pot and cook on low heat for 10 minutes. You may need to work in batches.
- Transfer the meatballs to a serving dish. Stir in the sour cream. Serve with jelly and mash on the side.
- Gluten free
- Grain free (optional, choose appropriate bread)
- Dairy free (optional, utilise EVOO instead of butter, Nut milk instead of dairy milk)
- Low fructose / No added sugar
Ingredients: Serves: 2-4 2 x 250g T-bone or Rump steak Sea salt 2 Tbsp Olive oil 2 Tbsp Butter 1 brown onion, diced 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 tsp dried chilli flakes 2 tsp dried mixed herbs 40 ‘twists’ cracked black pepper 2 chicken stock cubes, crumbled 2-3...
Ingredients: Crown Pumpkin (or similar) Pumpkin Puree: 250g Pumpkin seeds 100g Miso 500g Spanish Onion 100g Butter Method: Pumpkin Puree: Roast pumpkin seeds at 200 degrees until golden Sweat down onions in butter until nice and golden Once all cooked blitz together...
Ingredients: 1kg pork mince 1 brown onion, finely diced 2 cloves garlic, finely diced 1 cup grated parmigiano cheese 1 egg 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs Plain flour, for dusting White Wine Sauce: 2 cups white wine 1 bunch sage leaves 2 sprigs of rosemary 2 bay leaves 6...
Ingredients: Serves: 4-6 500g beef mince 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, grated 3 spring onions, white and green separated, each finely chopped 1 large clove garlic, grated ½ cup chopped coriander (stems included) 1 Tbsp fish sauce 1 Tbsp caster sugar 1 tsp salt...
Ingredients: Recipe brought to you with the help of our friends at Wine Selectors Serves: 4 Four quails 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 6-8 leaves of sage, finely chopped Sea salt and cracked pepper 8 strips smoky pancetta Olive oil Lemon halves for...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 2 tablespoon olive oil 3 garlic cloves, crushed 500g chicken breast, whole 1 brown onion, finely diced 1 cup dry white wine 1 cup cream 2 tablespoons tarragon, coarsely chopped 1 teaspoon cornflour serve with steamed rice and blanched broccolini...