Black Rice, Yuzu & Black Sesame TartsElena Duggan
- 3 Black rice gluten free wraps
- 50g Butter, melted (if not using a non-stick pan)
- 125g Yuzu juice (store bought in bottle is fine from your Asian grocer)
- 125 Caster Sugar
- 1lge egg
- 3lge egg yolks
- 175g Butter, room temperature
Black Sesame Crumble Ingredients
- 250g Black sesame
- 75g Butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 25g Buckwheat flour
- 1tsp salt
- 300ml Thickened cream
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1vanilla pod, seeds only
- Bottled yuzu juice is a perfect substitute for fresh, which can be challenging to find if you don’t have access to an Japanese ingredient stockist.
- Mandarin juice is a great substitute if no access to yuzu.
- Preheat oven to 150° Celcius, fan forced.
- For the tart shells, cut six even circles from each rice wrap with a cookie cutter. Soak circles in melted butter for up to five minutes, this will soften them. Gently press each circle into place in the cups of a 12-muffin tray and bake for 10-12minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling and crisping.
- For the yuzu curd, place ingredients into a microwave safe bowl; thoroughly combine with a whisk as best as possible.
- Place in the microwave on high for one minute, before removing and thoroughly whisking. Repeat cooking for one minute at a time, then whisking thoroughly until thick, glossy and voluminous – depending on the power of your microwave may take 5-10 total minutes. Remove from all heat and whisk until cool.
- For the crumble, blitz the sesame seeds in a dry jug blender until about half way between whole completely broken. Add butter, sugar, buckwheat and salt, blitz until a coarse wet sand texture.
- Lay crumble out on a lined baking tray and bake for up to 30minutes on turning every ten minutes. You’re aiming for even toasting but no significant browning. Remove from oven and allow cooling. Once cool, break up with a fork so texture is fairly small and consistent.
- For the cream, whip cream until soft peaks, add vanilla, and then sugar one tbsp. at a time until thoroughly combined and medium to firm peaks are formed.
- Allow an hour or so for the tarts, curd and crumb to cool.
- To serve, place, tart shells on platter, then distribute yuzu curd evenly amongst either piping or spooning, then cream, the sprinkle over desired amount of crumble to serve.
- You can save any unused crumble in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Any unused curd can be kept in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
- Gluten Free
- Grain Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Dairy Free, optional
- Vegan, optional
Ingredients: 185 g dates 1 cup water 60g butter 2 eggs 185g self raising flour 185g sugar 1tsp baking powder ½ tsp vanilla paste Butterscotch Sauce: 1 cup cream ¾ cup brown sugar 2 tbsp butter Pinch of salt Method: Bring the dates and water to a boil, then remove from...
Ingredients: 4 Lady Finger Bananas Woodchips for smoking in a fire or hibachi Dulce De Leche Creme: 2 Tbsp Dulce de leche 200ml Cream Chocolate Sauce: 150ml full-fat milk 150ml double cream 300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces 1 tsp vanilla extract To Serve: 1 tbsp...
Ingredients: 3 eggs, separated 6 tbsp caster sugar 500 g mascarpone cream 500ml espresso coffee 80ml marsala 500g savoiardi biscotti ( 1 large packet ) Dark chocolate, to grate Cocoa powder, to dust Method: Beat the egg yolks and half the sugar in a bowl for 5 minutes...
Ingredients: 1 pear, peeled and cored, diced 1 tsp ground cinnamon 125g unsalted butter ½ cup caster sugar 2 eggs 1 ½ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking powder Salt Streusal Crumb: 40g unsalted butter, chilled, diced 1/3 cup plain flour 2 Tbsp caster sugar Salt Method:...
Ingredients: 2 eggs 1 cup sugar ¾ cup vegetable oil 1 tsp vanilla essence 2 cups grated carrot 1 ¼ cups plain flour 1 tsp baking soda 2-3 tsp cinnamon 2-3 tsp mixed spice ½ tsp salt Lime Cream Cheese: 200g cream cheese, room temperature 1 ½ cups icing sugar, sifted...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 ¼ cup Nutella 8 thick slices of brioche 3 eggs ¼ cup milk 1 vanilla bean, scraped 40g butter 2 lady finger bananas 2 Tablespoons caster sugar 160g unsalted butter ¼ cup pistachios, chopped ¼ cup maple syrup Edible flowers to garnish Ice cream to...