Black Rice, Yuzu & Black Sesame TartsElena Duggan
- 3 Black rice gluten free wraps
- 50g Butter, melted (if not using a non-stick pan)
- 125g Yuzu juice (store bought in bottle is fine from your Asian grocer)
- 125 Caster Sugar
- 1lge egg
- 3lge egg yolks
- 175g Butter, room temperature
Black Sesame Crumble Ingredients
- 250g Black sesame
- 75g Butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 25g Buckwheat flour
- 1tsp salt
- 300ml Thickened cream
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1vanilla pod, seeds only
- Bottled yuzu juice is a perfect substitute for fresh, which can be challenging to find if you don’t have access to an Japanese ingredient stockist.
- Mandarin juice is a great substitute if no access to yuzu.
- Preheat oven to 150° Celcius, fan forced.
- For the tart shells, cut six even circles from each rice wrap with a cookie cutter. Soak circles in melted butter for up to five minutes, this will soften them. Gently press each circle into place in the cups of a 12-muffin tray and bake for 10-12minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling and crisping.
- For the yuzu curd, place ingredients into a microwave safe bowl; thoroughly combine with a whisk as best as possible.
- Place in the microwave on high for one minute, before removing and thoroughly whisking. Repeat cooking for one minute at a time, then whisking thoroughly until thick, glossy and voluminous – depending on the power of your microwave may take 5-10 total minutes. Remove from all heat and whisk until cool.
- For the crumble, blitz the sesame seeds in a dry jug blender until about half way between whole completely broken. Add butter, sugar, buckwheat and salt, blitz until a coarse wet sand texture.
- Lay crumble out on a lined baking tray and bake for up to 30minutes on turning every ten minutes. You’re aiming for even toasting but no significant browning. Remove from oven and allow cooling. Once cool, break up with a fork so texture is fairly small and consistent.
- For the cream, whip cream until soft peaks, add vanilla, and then sugar one tbsp. at a time until thoroughly combined and medium to firm peaks are formed.
- Allow an hour or so for the tarts, curd and crumb to cool.
- To serve, place, tart shells on platter, then distribute yuzu curd evenly amongst either piping or spooning, then cream, the sprinkle over desired amount of crumble to serve.
- You can save any unused crumble in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Any unused curd can be kept in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
- Gluten Free
- Grain Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Dairy Free, optional
- Vegan, optional
Tim Tam Donuts
Ingredients: 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast 360 gm plain flour 55 gm (¼ cup) caster sugar 150 ml lukewarm milk 40 gm softened butter 1 egg 250 gm milk chocolate, finely chopped 190 gm crème fraîche 70 ml pouring cream For deep-frying: vegetable oil 3-4 Tim Tams, coarsely...
Rizogalo – Greek Rice Pudding
Ingredients: 4 cups full cream milk 1/2 cup medium-grain rice 1 + 1/2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt 1/2 cup caster sugar 2 tbs heaped tbsp cornflour 1 Vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste Traditional topping option Greek Cinnamon to dust the top Or Lotus Biscoff...
Sticky Strawberry Protein Pancakes
Ingredients: 1 very ripe banana (about 120g) 3 eggs, whisked 20g scoop vanilla plant-based protein powder 2 teaspoons of maple syrup 70g (1/2cup) quartered strawberries 1 tablespoon tapioca flour 1 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil Method: SERVES 1 Place your banana in...
Raw Banana Slice
This recipe is brought to you by our friends at Healthy Life. Ingredients: 2 Bananas 300g of raw Cashews (unsalted & unroasted) 6 - 8 Pitted Dates 2 tablespoons of Cinnamon powder 2 tablespoons of Raw cacao powder Cacao Nibs Pinch of Salt Method: In a food...
Papoutsakia “Little Slippers”
Ingredients: 4 eggplants, halved lengthwise 500 grams of canned or fresh tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped 500 grams of minced beef 3 spring onions, finely sliced 1 onion, grated 4 cloves of garlic 1 cup (120 grams) of grated kefalotiri (a hard Greek cheese used in...
Ingredients: 400 gm plain flour 10 gm dried yeast 50 gm caster sugar, plus extra to dust 150 ml milk, warmed 80 ml pouring cream 50 gm butter, grated 1 egg, beaten Pinch of ground cinnamon For deep-frying: vegetable oil 300 gm frozen raspberries 150 gm caster sugar...