Black Rice, Yuzu & Black Sesame TartsElena Duggan
- 3 Black rice gluten free wraps
- 50g Butter, melted (if not using a non-stick pan)
- 125g Yuzu juice (store bought in bottle is fine from your Asian grocer)
- 125 Caster Sugar
- 1lge egg
- 3lge egg yolks
- 175g Butter, room temperature
Black Sesame Crumble Ingredients
- 250g Black sesame
- 75g Butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 25g Buckwheat flour
- 1tsp salt
- 300ml Thickened cream
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1vanilla pod, seeds only
- Bottled yuzu juice is a perfect substitute for fresh, which can be challenging to find if you don’t have access to an Japanese ingredient stockist.
- Mandarin juice is a great substitute if no access to yuzu.
- Preheat oven to 150° Celcius, fan forced.
- For the tart shells, cut six even circles from each rice wrap with a cookie cutter. Soak circles in melted butter for up to five minutes, this will soften them. Gently press each circle into place in the cups of a 12-muffin tray and bake for 10-12minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling and crisping.
- For the yuzu curd, place ingredients into a microwave safe bowl; thoroughly combine with a whisk as best as possible.
- Place in the microwave on high for one minute, before removing and thoroughly whisking. Repeat cooking for one minute at a time, then whisking thoroughly until thick, glossy and voluminous – depending on the power of your microwave may take 5-10 total minutes. Remove from all heat and whisk until cool.
- For the crumble, blitz the sesame seeds in a dry jug blender until about half way between whole completely broken. Add butter, sugar, buckwheat and salt, blitz until a coarse wet sand texture.
- Lay crumble out on a lined baking tray and bake for up to 30minutes on turning every ten minutes. You’re aiming for even toasting but no significant browning. Remove from oven and allow cooling. Once cool, break up with a fork so texture is fairly small and consistent.
- For the cream, whip cream until soft peaks, add vanilla, and then sugar one tbsp. at a time until thoroughly combined and medium to firm peaks are formed.
- Allow an hour or so for the tarts, curd and crumb to cool.
- To serve, place, tart shells on platter, then distribute yuzu curd evenly amongst either piping or spooning, then cream, the sprinkle over desired amount of crumble to serve.
- You can save any unused crumble in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Any unused curd can be kept in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
- Gluten Free
- Grain Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Dairy Free, optional
- Vegan, optional
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: 1 cup semolina 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped 2 cups self raising flour, sifted 2 tsp baking powder Rind of 1 lemon 6 eggs 250g butter at room temp Juice of 2 oranges 2 tbsp cognac or brandy 1 cup of caster. Sugar Shredded coconut as...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...