Black Rice, Yuzu & Black Sesame TartsElena Duggan
- 3 Black rice gluten free wraps
- 50g Butter, melted (if not using a non-stick pan)
- 125g Yuzu juice (store bought in bottle is fine from your Asian grocer)
- 125 Caster Sugar
- 1lge egg
- 3lge egg yolks
- 175g Butter, room temperature
Black Sesame Crumble Ingredients
- 250g Black sesame
- 75g Butter
- 50g Caster sugar
- 25g Buckwheat flour
- 1tsp salt
- 300ml Thickened cream
- 50g Caster sugar
- 1vanilla pod, seeds only
- Bottled yuzu juice is a perfect substitute for fresh, which can be challenging to find if you don’t have access to an Japanese ingredient stockist.
- Mandarin juice is a great substitute if no access to yuzu.
- Preheat oven to 150° Celcius, fan forced.
- For the tart shells, cut six even circles from each rice wrap with a cookie cutter. Soak circles in melted butter for up to five minutes, this will soften them. Gently press each circle into place in the cups of a 12-muffin tray and bake for 10-12minutes. Remove from oven and allow cooling and crisping.
- For the yuzu curd, place ingredients into a microwave safe bowl; thoroughly combine with a whisk as best as possible.
- Place in the microwave on high for one minute, before removing and thoroughly whisking. Repeat cooking for one minute at a time, then whisking thoroughly until thick, glossy and voluminous – depending on the power of your microwave may take 5-10 total minutes. Remove from all heat and whisk until cool.
- For the crumble, blitz the sesame seeds in a dry jug blender until about half way between whole completely broken. Add butter, sugar, buckwheat and salt, blitz until a coarse wet sand texture.
- Lay crumble out on a lined baking tray and bake for up to 30minutes on turning every ten minutes. You’re aiming for even toasting but no significant browning. Remove from oven and allow cooling. Once cool, break up with a fork so texture is fairly small and consistent.
- For the cream, whip cream until soft peaks, add vanilla, and then sugar one tbsp. at a time until thoroughly combined and medium to firm peaks are formed.
- Allow an hour or so for the tarts, curd and crumb to cool.
- To serve, place, tart shells on platter, then distribute yuzu curd evenly amongst either piping or spooning, then cream, the sprinkle over desired amount of crumble to serve.
- You can save any unused crumble in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Any unused curd can be kept in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
- Gluten Free
- Grain Free
- Refined Sugar Free
- Dairy Free, optional
- Vegan, optional
Ingredients: Serves 12 3 cups wholegrain spelt flour 2 tsp baking powder 1 cup rapadura sugar 2 tsp ground cinnamon 1 tsp natural salt flakes 4 free-range eggs 300ml extra virgin olive oil 1/3 cup pure maple syrup 2 tbsp natural vanilla extract 4 medium carrots,...
Ingredients: Dough 2 x cups flour ¼ cup white sugar 1tbsp baking powder 1 egg 100g butter 2/3 cup cream Filling 10x peaches pitted and sliced ¼ cup corn flour 2 tbsp soft brown sugar ½ tsp cinnamon Method: Toss all the peaches, corn flour, sugar and cinnamon in to a...
Ingredients: Serves 2 Flesh of 1 ripe Australian avocado 6 Medjool dates, pitted ¼ cup cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract Pinch sea salt To serve ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries 1 tsp cacao nibs (optional) 1 sprig of fresh Australian mint Method: Place all...
Ingredients: Serves 2 60ml tequila 1 Lime, halved SodaStream Ginger Beer Syrup SodaStream Carbonated Water Ice Lime slices for garnish Method: Line the glasses with lime juice and salt. Add crushed ice to the serving glasses followed by tequila, SodaStream ginger beer...
Ingredients: Roasted bananas 300g Vanilla 1g Butter 112g Brown sugar 250g Eggs 100g Flour 275g Baking powder 10g Sea salt 5g Whipped Maple Butter Unsalted butter 250g Maple syrup 80g Sea salt 3g Method: Spread vanilla onto bananas, and roast in an oven at 180⁰c for 10...
Ingredients: Two servings Gin SodaStream Lemonade Syrup Approx 500ml Sodastream Carbonated Water 2 tarragon sprigs 1/2 lemon, finely sliced Ice Method: Fill the serving glasses with ice. Add lemonade syrup and top up with carbonated water Add the tarragon and lemon...