Ravani - Moist Semolina CakeKathy Tsaples
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 6 eggs
- 250g butter at room temp
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp cognac or brandy
- 1 cup of caster. Sugar
- Shredded coconut as garnish
- 1 wedge of lemon
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- Preheat your oven to 175 ̊C.
- Make the syrup by bringing the sugar, water and lemon wedge to a boil, then simmering for 10 minutes. Take the syrup off the heat and cool down completely.
- To begin making the cake, cream the butter with the sugar using the paddle-wheel attachment of the electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, then the lemon rind.
- Reduce the mixer’s speed and add the orange juice and cognac.
- Combine the semolina and the baking powder. Slowly add the self-raising flour to the mixing bowl, followed by the combined semolina and baking powder.
- Mix in the almonds.
- Thoroughly butter and flour a square cake tin, then pour in the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and pour the cold syrup over the hot cake. Cover with a tea towel for about an hour, allowing the cake to soak up the syrup.
- Cut into squares and garnish by sprinkling shredded coconut on top.
Ingredients: Makes 28 portions 12 eggs 800gm 900gm caster sugar 675gm 68% Madagascar chocolate 675gm-unsalted butter 225gm ground macadamia meal 225gm cocoa powder 300gm macadamia nuts Method: Preheat oven to 150 degrees Grease and line sponge tray with parchment...
Ingredients: Makes 12 ¾ cup Australian almonds 1/3 cup rolled oats 2 tbsp cacao powder ½ tsp vanilla extract 12 medjool dates 3 tbsp cacao nibs 1 tbsp Australian almond oil Method: In a food processor blend ¼ cup of the almonds until they are crushed lightly but not...
Ingredients: Makes 2 small jars of jam and nut butter Jam ¼ cup fresh Australian raspberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blackberries ¼ cup fresh Australian strawberries ¼ cup fresh Australian blueberries ¼ cup fresh Australian red seedless grapes Splash Water ¼ cup chia...
Ingredients: Serves two 1/2 cup very cold vodka Juice of two limes 2 tablespoons sugar syrup 1/2 cup fresh raspberries 1/2 cup blueberries Approx 500ml sparkling water Ice Method: Bring together the vodka, lime juice, sugar syrup, raspberries, blueberries and...
Ingredients: 8 egg yolks 1 tsp vanilla extract 3 cups white sugar 3 litres of milk Pinch of salt 120g butter 2 cups semolina 15 sheets of fillo pastry 150g butter melted (approx.) Icing sugar + cinnamon to serve Method: Separate egg yolks from whites Add vanilla...
Ingredients: Serves 4 4 ice cubes 2 cups Australian watermelon 1 cup Australian pineapple 1 Australian orange 2 Australian carrots 1 tsp fresh Australian ginger ¼ cup coconut water 1 tbsp fresh Australian mint leaves Method: Place all ingredients in a blender and...