Ravani - Moist Semolina CakeKathy Tsaples
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 cup almonds, blanched, toasted and roughly chopped
- 2 cups self raising flour, sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 6 eggs
- 250g butter at room temp
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 tbsp cognac or brandy
- 1 cup of caster. Sugar
- Shredded coconut as garnish
- 1 wedge of lemon
- 3 ½ cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- Preheat your oven to 175 ̊C.
- Make the syrup by bringing the sugar, water and lemon wedge to a boil, then simmering for 10 minutes. Take the syrup off the heat and cool down completely.
- To begin making the cake, cream the butter with the sugar using the paddle-wheel attachment of the electric mixer. Add the eggs one at a time, then the lemon rind.
- Reduce the mixer’s speed and add the orange juice and cognac.
- Combine the semolina and the baking powder. Slowly add the self-raising flour to the mixing bowl, followed by the combined semolina and baking powder.
- Mix in the almonds.
- Thoroughly butter and flour a square cake tin, then pour in the mixture.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Once the cake is ready, take it out of the oven and pour the cold syrup over the hot cake. Cover with a tea towel for about an hour, allowing the cake to soak up the syrup.
- Cut into squares and garnish by sprinkling shredded coconut on top.
Ingredients: Serves: 2 Ingredients: 2x Wedges of Pumpkin (skin on) 1x can of coconut milk 30ml Soy Sauce (to taste) 1 tbsp of Tom Yum Paste 1 chilli, finely sliced 1 punch of Thai basil 1 tbsp fried shallots Bubur Cha Cha: Kara coconut cream 2litres Pandan leaves 6pcs...
Ingredients: Filling: 200ml Yuzu Juice 250g Caster Sugar 400ml Double Cream 5 Free Range eggs 25g Shiro Miso White Premium Sweet Pastry Case: 200g Unsalted Butter Zest of a lemon 150g Icing Sugar 450g Flour, Plain 5 Whole Eggs Method: Filling: Bring the cream and...
Ingredients: Serves: 4 400g Dulce de leche 2 egg yolks 2 whole eggs 50g Flour 0000 20g Unsalted butter 4 Lady finger bananas 50 g brown sugar 50 g golden syrup Cocoa powder Coconut ice cream (store bought) Method: Preheat the oven to 180C Place the dulce the leche...
Ingredients: Makes: 12 2/3 cup plain flour 1/3 cup self raising flour 1/3 cup raw caster sugar 1/3 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup malted milk drink powder 75g unsalted butter, melted and cooled 1 egg 200g dark chocolate, melted Vanilla bean ice cream and sea salt flakes to...
Ingredients: Serves: 8 2 sheets shortcrust pastry ½ cup medjool dates 2 free range eggs ½ cup caster sugar 2-3 tsp lemon zest 250gm fresh ricotta ½ cup thickened cream 2 tbsp plain flour 1 tbsp icing sugar Method: Remove pastry and allow to thaw slightly before...
Ingredients: Base: 2 cups cashews 10 pitted dates 1 cup coconut 4 tbsp liquid coconut oil Pinch of salt 1 tsp raw cocoa powder Caramel: 1 cup almond butter 10 pitted dates 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp vanilla paste 3/4 cup coconut oil 1 tsp salt flakes Chocolate Topping:...